The Code section shown below was retrieved from the website of The Alabama Legislature. You may view the entire Code of Alabama on that website.
The information contained at this web site is provided as a public service; however, its content includes links which access other internet resources and websites. The Alabama Secretary of State’s Office is not responsible for the accuracy or content of information contained in these sites. The Alabama Secretary of State’s Office is not responsible for reliance on any information contained within the site.
State Voter Registration Advisory Board.
(a) As an oversight board for the system, there is created and established a State Voter Registration Advisory Board composed of nine members, to be appointed as follows:
Three members by the Governor, one of whom shall reflect the racial, ethnic, gender, and age diversity of the state.
Three members by the Commissioner of Agriculture and Industries, one of whom shall reflect the racial, ethnic, gender, and age diversity of the state.
Three members by the State Auditor, one of whom shall reflect the racial, ethnic, gender, and age diversity of the state.
Such appointments shall be made no later than September 30, 2003. Persons appointed to the Voter Registration Advisory Board shall serve at the pleasure of the appointing authority and shall have knowledge of the workings of voter registration and election laws and shall receive no compensation for their services other than reimbursement for traveling and other expenses actually incurred in the performance of their official duties. The expenses shall be paid in the manner and amount as is provided for other state officers and employees and persons traveling on official business for state departments and agencies. The appointees shall meet within 30 days after their appointments to select one of their number as chair who shall serve for two years. Thereafter, the Voter Registration Advisory Board shall elect a new chair every four years. The Voter Registration Advisory Board shall meet regularly at least once during each quarter and at such special meetings as may be called, from time to time, by the chair.
(b) The Voter Registration Advisory Board shall have the following duties:
(1) To oversee the statewide voter registration list created in this chapter.
(2) To advise and consult with the Secretary of State concerning the statewide voter registration file maintenance system created in this chapter.
(3) To recommend to the Legislature and the Governor any needed improvements or legislation in regard to the statewide voter registration file.
(4) To make studies of conditions and problems pertaining to voter identification and registration in the state.
(5) To keep abreast of the latest developments in the field of voter identification and registration.
(6) To promote honesty, fairness, and integrity in lists of qualified voters, the voter registration process, and the election process in the State of Alabama.
(Act 2006-570, p. 1331, §19.)