The Code section shown below was retrieved from the website of The Alabama Legislature. You may view the entire Code of Alabama on that website.
The information contained at this web site is provided as a public service; however, its content includes links which access other internet resources and websites. The Alabama Secretary of State’s Office is not responsible for the accuracy or content of information contained in these sites. The Alabama Secretary of State’s Office is not responsible for reliance on any information contained within the site.
Back to Election Law Titles
Order of listing of candidates on ballots.
The names of candidates for each office shall be listed on the ballot in alphabetical order by surname, and the offices shall be listed in the following order:
(1) President (if preference primary).
(3) Lieutenant Governor.
(4) United States Senator.
(5) United States Representative.
(6) Attorney General.
(7) State Senator.
(8) State Representative.
(9) Supreme Court Justice.
(10) Court of Civil Appeals Judge.
(11) Court of Criminal Appeals Judge.
(12) Secretary of State.
(13) State Treasurer.
(14) State Auditor.
(15) Commissioner of Agriculture and Industries.
(16) Public Service Commissioner.
(17) State Board of Education Member.
(18) Circuit Court Judge.
(19) District Attorney.
(20) District Court Judge.
(21) Circuit Clerk.
(22) Other public officers (to be listed in the order prescribed by the judge of probate).
(23) Delegate to national convention.
(24) Other party officers (to be listed in the order prescribed by the judge of probate).
(Acts 1975, No. 1196, p. 2349, §18; §17-16-20; amended and renumbered by Act 2006-570, p. 1331, §29; Act 2016-300, §1.)